The MARK’S VINTAGE VINYL page features something from Mark’s collection of recordings from over the years. Most of it is on vinyl – hence the name – though there will be a few entries from his CDs (remember those?).
The Crossing by Big Country
- Debut album released in 1983 by Scottish alt-rock band Big Country.
- The album includes the band’s only Billboard Hot 100 hit – In A Big Country, which reached #17. In 1983, I was watching MTV daily, and immediately bought the album when I saw the video for this song.
- The sound of the band was so unique, making them an obvious alt-rock favorite for me. They incorporated Scottish folk music elements into their sound, using techniques with their guitars to create a sound similar to bagpipes and fiddles. Make no mistake – Big Country was no folk band, and this album absolutely rocks.
- The song got them an appearance on Saturday Night Live, and they performed at the Grammy Awards in 1984, as they were nominated for two awards – Best New Artist and Best Rock Performance by a Group. Their success in the U.S. would be fleeting. One other single from the album managed to chart – Fields of Fire peaked at #52 on the Hot 100. A few other songs on later albums made some of the more obscure Billboard charts.
- See if you can pick up the bagpipe sound of the guitars in the video for In A Big Country. It’s obvious at the 1:15 mark of the video. Love this song!