The MARK’S VINTAGE VINYL page features something from Mark’s collection of recordings from over the years. Most of it is on vinyl – hence the name – though there will be a few entries from his CDs (remember those?).
Big Willie Style by Will Smith
- Debut solo album released in 1997 by Will Smith. His previous five albums were released as the duo DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince – with Smith as the Fresh Prince.
- When your kids grow up and move out of the house, often they leave behind all sorts of stuff. My son left his sports cards collection, a bunch of clothes and baseball hats, a box of fossils, and lots of CDs. As such, I “inherited” all of it (though he warns that we should not dispose of his sports cards). Big Willie Style is one of many CDs that I now own.
- To be honest, I can’t say that I’ve actually listened to every song of this CD. But, as a hip hop artist, Smith is pretty listenable, so I’ll give it a full listen – someday.
- Included on the CD are two smash hits – Men In Black and Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It. The former topped 15 different charts throughout the world, including the US Radio Songs chart and the US Rhythmic chart (it did not make the Hot 100 chart because it was not released commercially as a single in the US, a requirement at that time). The latter topped the Hot 100 and the Rap Songs chart, and it was top 10 on 17 International charts. Lesser hits – but both top 20 hits – were Just the Two of Us and Miami.
- Nice start of a solo career for Smith – the album was certified 9x platinum. No gangsta rap here – Smith continued his radio-friendly pop-rap sound, consistent with his earlier work with Jazzy Jeff. Here’s the video to the infectious Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It – “na na na na na na na…” And…happy Halloween!