The MARK’S VINTAGE VINYL page features something from Mark’s collection of recordings from over the years. Most of it is on vinyl – hence the name – though there will be a few entries from his CDs (remember those?).
Villians, by The Verve Pipe
- Second studio album by The Verve Pipe, released in 1996.
- This is one of many albums that I purchased based on a song that I stumbled upon. I was traveling on business in 1997 in the Chicago area. In my rental car, I found my usual Chicago album rock station. Driving around town, the song The Freshmen came on the radio. I immediately liked it. When the DJ came on the radio, I had to listen careful to the details about the song and band – this was before Google was around. I picked up the CD soon after returning home.
- The Freshmen definitely was a one-hit wonder for the band. The song is about the guilt that the songwriter and singer Brian Vander Ark felt after his ex-girlfriend committed suicide. Though…in 2019, Vander Ark admitted that he made up the suicide story. The song reached #5 on the Hot 100 chart, and it topped the Adult Alternative Songs chart. Another single from the album, Photograph, reached #6 on the Alternative Airplay chart. The album eventually was certified platinum, thanks to the popularity of The Freshmen.
- One of many 90s alt rock bands, The Verve Pipe continues to record and perform today.
- Hear a great song for yourself – here’s the video to The Freshmen – 90s alt rock at its best.