The MARK’S VINTAGE VINYL page features something from Mark’s collection of recordings from over the years. Most of it is on vinyl – hence the name – though there will be a few entries from his CDs (remember those?).
CSN, by Crosby, Still & Nash
- Fifth album by Crosby, Stills & Nash, released in 1977. Actually – it’s the second studio album with this line-up. They had one prior studio album that included Neil Young, as well as a live album and a greatest hits album as the quartet CSN&Y.
- Vocal harmony in rock music is a favorite of mine, and Crosby, Stills & Nash (and Young too, though he didn’t do much harmonizing) are probably in the top 5 all time (neck and neck with Simon & Garfunkel, The Eagles, Queen, The Beach Boys).
- I picked up this album in college, at one of my favorite used record stores. It was CS&N’s best selling album, certified 4x platinum. It included their highest charting single, Just a Song Before I Go, which peaked at #7 on the Hot 100. The other single they released from the album was Fair Game – I think I know what they mean when they sing the lyric “Just relax, enjoy the ride.”
- All the songs are excellent. The tour de force is the Graham Nash penned Cathedral – the song is a re-creation of an LSD experience that he had in Winchester Cathedral in England.
- Here’s a concert clip of the trio performing Cathedral. Interesting video here, it includes some special effects that might make you feel like you are on LSD. Of course, it features some of their best harmonies. Give it a watch.