The MARK’S VINTAGE VINYL page features something from Mark’s collection of recordings from over the years. Most of it is on vinyl – hence the name – though there will be a few entries from his CDs (remember those?).
Dizzy Up the Girl, by The Goo Goo Dolls
- Sixth studio album by Goo Goo Dolls, released in 1998.
- One of the “perks” of having your kids grow up and move out of the house is that whatever they leave behind after they move out becomes property of Mom and Dad. When son Garrett moved out, he left almost all of his CDs. He moved from home in 2006 – after 10+ years, I now consider them mine. I appreciate his generosity in leaving them for his dear Father to enjoy.
- Probably my favorite of his (my) CDs is this classic. The Goo Goo Dolls went for 9 years before finally a hit album in 1995 – A Boy Named Goo. Dizzy Up the Girl was their follow-up, and it became their best seller, certified 4x platinum.
- Two 90s classics on this album – Iris and Slide. Iris was written by frontman John Rzeznik for the soundtrack to the film City of Angels. In the song, most of the strings on the guitar are tuned to D, giving the instrument a unique sound. It peaked at #1 on 3 Billboard charts – Modern Rock, Pop, and Adult Contemporary – making it the most played song on the radio in 1998. In 2000, Rolling Stone put it at #39 on their list of the Greatest Pop Songs of All Time. Slide also was #1 on Billboard’s Adult Top 40, Modern Rock and Mainstream Top 40 charts.
- To learn more about The Goo Goo Dolls, check out my May 14, 2017 blog post. The video for Iris is posted there. Here – you can watch the video for their hit, Slide.