The MARK’S VINTAGE VINYL page features something from Mark’s collection of recordings from over the years. Most of it is on vinyl – hence the name – though there will be a few entries from his CDs (remember those?).
Autumn, by George Winston
- Second solo piano album by pianist George Winston, released in 1980.
- I started to take an interest in new age music in the mid-80s, and really got hooked in the early 00s. Winston is famous for his solo piano work in this genre. Winston took a liking to jazz piano, and eventually evolved to a style that he calls “rural folk piano.” Autumn was his first release on the Windham Hill Record label that was one of the premier labels for new age music from 1976 until it went defunct in 2007.
- Autumn is one of four Winston albums that I own. He followed Autumn with Winter Into Spring (in 1982), then December (a winter/Christmas album in 1982), and then Summer (in 1991). He does a marvelous job of creating a feel for these seasons with his piano compositions and performances.
- While Autumn did not chart highly – #139 on the Billboard 200 album chart and #12 on the Top Jazz Albums chart, it still sold over 1 million copies. Winston went on to win a Grammy award for Best New Age album in 1996 for his album Forest (also in my collection).
- Here is the composition Woods from the album that puts the music to some visuals that some creative person posted to YouTube back in 2010. Listen to the music, watch the images, and imagine that you are in the woods in autumn. Peaceful music – I highly recommend George Winston to anyone who is looking for quiet, reflective music to relax to.