The MARK’S VINTAGE VINYL page features something from Mark’s collection of recordings from over the years. Most of it is on vinyl – hence the name – though there will be a few entries from his CDs (remember those?).
Body and Soul, by Joe Jackson
- Seventh studio album by British artist Joe Jackson, released in 1984.
- Jackson hit the music scene in the late 90s, with new wave/British punk music that was just starting become mainstream. His first hit was Is She Really Going Out With Him?, which caught my ear. By 1981, his music was evolving to a modern new wave/pop version of jazz and swing music from the 40s and 50s. His 1982 song Steppin’ Out was his breakout hit, with its infectious piano hook, rhythm and pop vocal.
- As Jackson continued to embrace old music genres, he released Body and Soul. It’s a pop music album with lots of jazz and salsa elements. It became the third album of Jackson that I picked up at my favorite used record store. One single from the album, You Can’t Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want), reached #15 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The album made it to #20 on the Billboard album chart.
- The album cover is an exact knock off of the Sonny Rollins’ Vol. 2 album cover from 1957 – except of course with Jackson in place of Rollins.
- Enjoy this live performance of You Can’t Get What You Want. Pop music with horns – one of my favorite kinds of music!