The MARK’S VINTAGE VINYL page features something from Mark’s collection of recordings from over the years. Most of it is on vinyl – hence the name – though there will be a few entries from his CDs (remember those?).
Icicle Works, by Icicle Works
- Debut album by English alternative rock band Icicle Works, released in 1984.
- Back in the mid-80s, I stumbled onto their one U.S. hit, a new wave classic called Whisper To A Scream (Birds Fly). I was hooked, and bought the album immediately. The song made it to #37 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and it managed to stay on the chart for 12 weeks.
- The song has a driving drum accompaniment, a jangling guitar riff, and wailing vocals. I still love to crank the song at near max volume and sing along, constantly playing the air drums. Alas, the rest of the songs on the album are totally forgettable. But, such is the nature of a lot of 80s new wave music.
- The song has some legs. It was used in commercials for Budweiser for several years. It’s been used in a video game, films, and TV shows – most recently, during the closing credits to episode 7, season 2 of the Netflix hit Stranger Things.
- Here it is…Whisper To A Scream!