The MARK’S VINTAGE VINYL page features something from Mark’s collection of recordings from over the years. Most of it is on vinyl – hence the name – though there will be a few entries from his CDs (remember those?).
Let’s Dance, by David Bowie
- Fifteenth studio album by David Bowie, released in 1983.
- This is Bowie’s best selling album, with nearly 11 million copies sold worldwide. It contains his second #1 hit, Let’s Dance (his first was Fame from 1975). Two other singles from the album reached the Billboard Hot 100 top 15 – China Girl and Modern Love.
- The album was nominated for Best Album of the Year by the Grammy’s but lost to Michael Jackson’s Thriller. Talk about unfair – how do you win against the second biggest selling album of all time?
- Stevie Ray Vaughan provided lead guitar on the album.
- China Girl is a cover of the song first performed by Iggy Pop in 1997. Pop and Bowie co-wrote the song.
- I had earlier purchased Bowie’s 1976 compilation Greatest Hits album, Changesonebowie, that had all of his classic songs from 1969 to 1976, including the amazing Space Oddity. I lost touch with his releases in the late 70s, but liked what I heard (and saw on MTV) when Let’s Dance was released. Here’s the video for China Girl.