The MARK’S VINTAGE VINYL page features something from Mark’s collection of recordings from over the years. Most of it is on vinyl – hence the name – though there will be a few entries from his CDs (remember those?).
Greatest Hits, by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
- First greatest hits album released in 1995 after the death of Stevie Ray Vaughan.
- The album peaked at #39 on the Billboard 200 album chart, selling over 2 million copies.
- Vaughan was killed in a helicopter crash at the age of 35. He had performed 2 shows at the Alpine Valley Music Theater in Troy Wisconsin, along with Eric Clapton. Just before 1 am, his helicopter took off from a nearby golf course, along with 3 members of Clapton’s entourage. The chopper ran into a ski hill next to the golf course, killing everyone on board instantly.
- 40 years into listening to music, and I really didn’t know Stevie Ray. My friends Jeanne and Dave fixed that problem. The man played an awesome blues guitar, and I needed something in the collection – so I went with this Greatest Hits CD.
- Critics say that Vaughan was one of the most important guitarists of the 80s. I’d say “of all time.” Rolling Stone ranks him #12 all time. That’s about right – maybe it should be a notch or two higher.
- Blues music is one genre that is better live than in the studio for me. Here is a live version of the second track from the CD, Texas Flood – it proves my point, live is MUCH better!